Paul Dugdale is the Director of Chronic Disease Management, Aged Care & Rehabilitation Services, ACT Health (Senior Staff Specialist); and is Associate Professor of Public Health in the ANU Medical School.
From 2000-2007, he was the ACT Chief Health Officer and Executive Director of the Population Health Division of ACT Health. He has previously worked in the Health Financing Division of the Commonwealth Department of Health, Health Service Planning in NSW Health, was Medical Superintendent at Liverpool Hospital ( Sydney ) and was private secretary to the Commonwealth Minister for Health Neal Blewett.
He is the founding member of then Australian Health Protection Committee from 2006-2007 and a member of the National Health & Medical Research Council from 2002-2007 and the Australian Council for Safety & Quality in Health Care from 2002-2005.
Phillips, R.L., Short, A., Kenning, A., Dugdale, P., Nugus, P., McGowan, R., & Greenfield, D. Achieving patient-centred care: the potential and challenge of the patient-as-professional role. Health Expectations (submitted for publication February 2014)
Veronesi, G., Harley, K., Dugdale, P., & Short, S. Governance, transparency and alignment in the COAG 2011 health reforms. Australian Health Review, (Accepted for publication 21 January 2014).
Short, A., Phillips, R.L, Nugus, P., Dugdale, P., & Greenfield, D. Developing an inter-organisational community-based health network: An Australian investigation. Health Promotion Interaction (Accepted for publication 10 March 2014).
B. Tahani, S. Yazdani, M.H. Khoshnevisan, P. Dugdale, S. Siddiqi and A. Ebn Ahmady. Framework for assessing stewardship of the oral health system in Islamic Republic of Iran. EMHJ • Vol. 20 No. 2 • 2014
Mirzaei, M., Aspin, C., Essue, B., Jeon, Y. H., Dugdale, P., Usherwood, T., & S.R., L. A patient-centred approach to health service delivery: Improving health outcomes for people with chronic illness BMC Health Services Research 2013 13:251.
Tahani B, Khoshnevisan MH, Yazdani S, Ebn Ahmady A, Dugdale P. Stewardship of National Oral Health system in Iran: Its strengths and weaknesses. Arch Iran Med. 2013; 16(12): 717 – 724.
Phillips, R., Short, A., Dugdale, P., Nugus, P., & Greenfield, D. Supporting patients to self-manage chronic disease: Clinicians' perspectives and current practices Australian Journal of Primary Health, published online 23 May 2013
- Yen L, McRae IS, Jowsey T, Gillespie J, Dugdale P, Banfield M & Kljakovic M. 2013 Health work by older people with chronic illness: how much tiome does it take? Chronic Illn. doi:10.1177/1742395313476720
- Jowsey T, McRae IS, Valderas JM, Dugdale P, Phillips, R, Bunton, R & Yen, L. 2013 Time's up. Descriptive epidemiology of multi-morbidity and time spent on health related activity by older Australians: a time use survey. PLoS One, 8(4), e59379. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0059379
- Hogden A, Short A, Taylor R, Dugdale P, Nugus P & Greenfield D. 2012 Health coaching and motivational interviewing: evaluating the chronic disease self-management toolbox. International Journal of Person Centered medicine, 2(3):520-530
- Dugdale P. 2012 Toward lucid health care. J Pharmacy Practice and Research, 42(4)
- Dugdale P. 2012 Governance challenges for primary health care. In Short, S & McDonald F (eds) Health workforce governance: improved access, good practice, safer patients. Ashgate, London
- Taylor R, Dugdale P, Short A, Nugus P & Greenfield D. 2011 Evaluating chronic disease self-management tools workshop, Australian Disease management Association Newsletter, p.8
- Pearce C, Shearer M, Phillips C, Hall S, Kljakovic M, Glasgow N, Dugdale P & Patel M. 2011 Views of GPs and practice nurses on supprot needed to respond to a pandemic influenza, Australian Health Review, 35(1): 111-115
- Aspin C, Jowsey T, Glasgow N, Dugdale P, Nolte E, O'Hallahan, J & Leeder S. 2010 Health policy responses to rising rates of mutli-morbid chronic illness in Australia and New Zealand, Aust N Z J Public Health, 34(4), 386-393
- Nugus P, Greenfield D, Kljakovic M & Dugdale P. 2010 Formal and enacted boundaries in ehalth services, Paper presented at the Australian Sociological Association (TASA), Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
- Jowsey T, Jeon YH, Dugdale P, Glasgow NJ, Kljakovic M & Usherwood T. 2009 Challenges for co-morbid chronic illness care and policy in Australia: a qualitative study, Aust New Zealand Health Policy, 6(22): 1-8
- Dugdale P. 2009 Mall-walking: the next big thing in health reform? Crikey
- Wellington H & Dugdale P. 2009 Integrating corporate and clinicla governance. In Healy J & Dugdale P. (eds) Patient safety first: responsive regulation in health care. Allen and Unwin, Sydney
- Healy J & Dugdale P. 2009 Regulatory strategies for making health care safer for patients. In Healy J & Dugdale P. (eds) Patient safety first: responsive regulation in health care. Allen and Unwin, Sydney
- Healy J & Dugdale P. (eds) 2009 Patient safety first: responsive regulation in health care. Allen and Unwin, Sydney
- Dugdale P & Arabena K. 2008 Doing indigenous health policy. In Dugdale (ed) Doing health policy in Australia. Allen and unwin, Sydney
- Dugdale P. 2008 Doing health policy in Australia. Allen and Unwin Sydney
- Patel MS, Phillips CB, Pearce C, Kljakovic M, Dugdale P, Glasgow N. 2008 General Practice and Pandemic Influenza: A Framework for Planning and Comparison of Plans in Five Countries. PLoS ONE 3(5): e2269. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0002269
- Healy J, Maffi C, Dugdale P. 2008 A national medical register for Australia. MJA Vol 188 Feb 2008
- Dugdale P. 2007 Influenza vaccination for healthy adults. Australian Prescriber 30:35-7
- Philips CB, Patel MS, Glasgow N, Pearce C, Dugdale P, Davies A, Hall S, Kljarkovic M. 2007 Australian general practice and pandemic influenza: models of clinical practice in an established pandemic. MJA 186:355-358
- Dugdale P. “Doctor’s Orders” 60 weekly columns in The Canberra Times on Sunday 2003-2004
- Glasgow N. Ponsonby A.L. Yates R. Beilby J. Dugdale P. 2003 Proactive asthma care in childhood: general practice based randomised controlled trial. British Medical Journal 327:659-63
- Dugdale P. 2003 Understanding the obesity epidemic. HealthLink (ACT Journal of health promotion) March 2003
- Dugdale P. Glasgow N Mathews C & Yates R. 2001 Conceptualising the care continuum. Abstract published in Conference proceedings: 2001 General Practice and Primary Health Care Research Conference Primary Health Care Research & Information Service Adelaide.
- Dugdale P. 2001 The economics, politics and reform of Medicare. Uni of Sydney Medical Program Community and Doctor Theme (Intranet publication).
- Dugdale P., Cheong I. and Quinlan F 2000 Incentives to computerise your practice. Collaborative Health Informatics Centre (CHIC) Brisbane (Video publication).
- Dugdale P. 2000 Resource allocation in health. Uni of Sydney Medical Program Community and Doctor Theme (Intranet publication).
- Dugdale P. 1997 The Better Practice Program funding formula and the governmentality of general practice. Aust. J. Public Administration vol.56 no.3 pp.65-76
- Dugdale P. 1997 Review of “Measuring health and medical outcomes” by C. Jenkinson (ed). ANZ J. Public Health vol.21 no.1 pp.107-8.
- Dugdale P. 1996 Review of “Hospitals in Transition: the resource management experiment” by Packwood, Keen and Buxton. ANZ J. Public Health vol.20 no.1 pp.105-6.
- Dugdale P. 1994 Review of "Health financing in the 1990s" by John Appleby. Aust. J. Public Health vol.18 no.3 pp.346-348.
- Dugdale P. 1994 Implications of the case report of patient-to-patient transmission of HIV. Australian Epidemiology Association News March 1994
- Dugdale P. 1993 Microeconomic reform of the private health sector. New Doctor No.60.
- Dugdale P. 1992 Review of "The Price of Health" by James Gillespie. Current Affairs Bulletin vol.68 no.9
- Dugdale P. 1991 The Management of Consumer Advocacy. Aust. J. of Public Administration Vol.50 No.1.
- Healy J. And Dugdale P. (Eds) 2009 Safety first: regulating patient health care. Allen and Unwin, Sydney (Under contract).
- Dugdale P. 2008 Doing health policy in Australia. Allen and Unwin.
- Dugdale P. 1998 The art of insider activism: policy activism and the governance of health. In A. Yeatman (ed.) Activism and the policy process. Allen & Unwin, Sydney
- Dugdale P. Richards B. Sibthorpe B.Fletcher M. Aleksandric V. & McGuiness C. 1999 Care Plus: the ACT coordinated care trial. Pages 57-70 in Leigh J. Tyson D. Pekarsky B & Silagy C. (eds) 1999 The Australian Coordinated Care Trials. Background and Trial Descriptions. Commonwealth Dept Health & Aged Care
- Dugdale P. Richards B. 1999 With both eyes open: Reflexivity in the design of the ACT coordinated care trial, an RCT of an administrative system. Pages 57-64 in Leigh J. (ed) 1999 The Australian Coordinated Care Trials: Methodological issues in trial design and evaluation. Commonwealth Dept Health & Aged Care.
- Richards B. Dugdale P. Pierce R. Pers P. 1999 Developing roles for general practitioners. Pages 37-55 in Leigh J. (ed) 1999 The Australian Coordinated Care Trials: Methodological issues in trial design and evaluation. Commonwealth Dept Health & Aged Care.
- Dugdale P. (Ed) 2007 Sustainable healthy development the ACT way. ACT Government.
- Dugdale P. Guest C. Kelsall L. 2006 ACT Chief Health Officer’s Report 2006. ACT Government,
- Briscoe N. Dugdale P. and the ACT Child Death Review Team. 2006 Review of ACT child deaths 1992-2003. ACT Government.
- Dugdale P. & Kelsall L. 2003 ACT Chief Health Officer’s Report 2000-2002. ACT Government.
- Penman R. and Dugdale P. 2003 Quality and Safety in ACT Health Care. Report on Progress. ACT Health, Canberra
- Rubenach S. Kose B. & Dugdale P. 2003 Breast Cancer in the ACT. Health Series No.31 ACT Health
- Dugdale 2002 ACT Chief Health Officer’s Report 1998-2000. ACT Government.
- Dugdale 1998 “Development of integrated care in the ACT”; “Achieving a population health focus in an integrated care scheme”; and “Transition of the ACT coordinated care trial to an ongoing coordinated/integrated care scheme”. Reports prepared for the ACT Department of Health.
- Chapman S. Gifford S. & Dugdale P. 1997 Final report of a review of the reception of qualitative research proposals by the Public Health Research and Development Committee. NHMRC, Canberra.
- Bollen M. Dugdale P. & McMurchie M. 1997 The public health role of general practice. Paper prepared for the National General Practice Strategy Review.
- Murphy E. Goldstein S. Dugdale P. & Phillips E. 1994 Guidelines for the hospitalisation of children. NSW Health Department, Sydney.
- Bennett C. Goldstein S. Eckstein G. Smith A. Murphy E. Dugdale P. Gleeson M. Carrigan M. Agar E. & Donnelly P. 1993 Specialist paediatric services in NSW strategic plan to 2001. NSW Health Department, Sydney.
- Dugdale P. Miles D. Smith A. & Ferrer E. 1993 Sydney metropolitan paediatric hospitals planning information 1991/92 - 2000. NSW Health Department, Sydney.
- Dugdale P. 1993 Financing arrangements for outpatient use of high cost drugs not funded by the Commonwealth. NSW Health Dept Circular 93/67
- Bennett C. Goldstein S. Dugdale P. Phillips E. & Agar E. 1993 Tertiary women's health care in NSW. NSW Health Department, Sydney.