Dr Brian Richards is a Visiting Fellow at the Australian National University’s Centre for Health Stewardship.
Dr Richards is also the Director of the National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme (NICNAS), a Commonwealth statutory scheme established to assess the risks of industrial chemicals to human health and the environment.
Prior to his current role, Dr Richards was a senior executive in the Australian Public Service for thirteen years, providing high level advice to the Australian Government in the areas of health financing, health information management, health technology assessment, chronic disease management, primary care, and quality and safety of health care.
Dr Richards joined the public sector after seven years as the Chief Executive Officer of the ACT Division of General Practice, and seventeen years as a medical practitioner in private practice, during which time he had extensive involvement in national health system reform issues.
- Wahlqvist ML, Fazio V, Flint DM, Peters K & Richards B. Acute effects of alcohol on nutrient status. Proceedings Thirs European Nutrition COnference, Nutrition in Europe 1979; pp106. Var Foda 1979; 31(Suppl 3): 221.
- Fazio V, Wahlqvist ML, Flint DM, Peters K & Richards B. Acute effects of alcohol on zinc, ascorbic acid and folic acid in man. Proceedings Nutrition Society of Australia 1979; 4: 155.
- Flint DM, Wahlqvist ML, Parish AE, Fazio V, Peters K, Prinsley DM, & Richards B. Effects of institutionalisation on nutritional status of the elderly in Australia. Proceedings Third European Nutrition Conference, Nutrition in Europe 1979; pp 120.
- Flint DM, Wahlqvist ML, Parish AE, Fazio V, Peters K, Prinsley DM & Richards B. The effect of institutionalization on nutritional status of the elderly in Australia. Nutrition Planning 1979; 2(4): 24. Var Foda 1979; 31(suppl 3):173.
- Flint DM, Wahlqvist ML, Richards B & Dryden P. Plasma zinc and serum albumin concentrations of community and institutionalised elderly. Proceedings Nutrition Society of Australia 1979; 4: 140.
- Flint DM, Wahlqvist ML, Prinsley DM, Parish AE, Fazio V, Peters K & Richards B (1979) Nutritional assessment of community and institutionalised elderly, Food Nutr. Notes Rev. 36, 173
- McNally CA, Richards BH, Mira M, Sprogis A, Douglas RM, Martin CM (1995) Advancing General Practice through Divisions, NCEPH Discussion Paper #10, ANU, Canberra
- Richards B (1995) Divisions of General Practice: Too much, too quickly, Med J Aust 162 (1): 3-4
- Ashwell S & Richards B (1998) Report on the Development of the ACT Model of Coordinated Care and Resource Material for General Practitioners, in ‘Care Plus Trial Final Evaluation Report, NCEPH, Canberra, March 2000
- Richards B (1999) Blended Payments: Will they work in general practice? AFP 1999 28 (4): 391-2
- Richards B, Bolton P, Veale B, Quinlan F, (1999), Information Technology in General Practice, Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care, Canberra
- Dugdale P & Richards B (1999) With Both Eyes Open: reflexivity in the design of the ACT Coordinated Care Trial, an RCT of an administrative system, in ‘The Australian Coordinated Care Trials: Methodological Issues in Trial Design and Evaluation’, Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care, Canberra
- Richards B, Dugdale P, Pearce R & Pers P (1999) Developing Roles for General Practitioners in ‘The Australian Coordinated Care Trials: Methodological Issues in Trial Design and Evaluation’, Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care, Canberra
- Shannon C & Richards BH (1999) The Hidden Agenda: Culture of the Medical Profession, University of Western Australia, Perth
- McLean R, Richards BH & Wardman JI (2007) The effect of Web 2.0 on the future of medical practice andeducation: Darwikinian evolution or folksonomic revolution?, Med J Aust; 187 (3): 174-177